Among all our five sense organs (i.e eyes, ears, nose, tongue and skin), eyes are the most delicate and sensitive organ that help us to see this marvelous world. They are the most incredible gift of God for human beings. Eyes help us to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of this world.
It is really a bad experience if we start feeling discomfort in our eyes due to dryness. Dry eye syndrome is due to insufficient production of tears or increased evaporation of tears.
Causes of Dry Eye
1. C.V.S. ( COMPUTER VISION SYNDROME) : Normally eye blink 12 to 15 times in a minutes, which help to spread tear film evenly on ocular surface. While using screens, blink rates reduces to 5-6 times per minutes. This reduced blinking rate leads to dry eyes.
2. Age: After 50 years of age, tear production naturally reduces (particularly in women who undergo menopause)
3. Inadequate secretion from Meibomian glands located inside eyelids.
4. Eyelids margin turning up too outwardly
5. Diabetes and autoimmune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Post LASIK surgery.
7. Uses of some medications like diuretics, decongestants, acne drug, pain killers etc.
8. Climatic conditions such as dry climate or hot blowing wind, Excessive use of A.C.
9. Wearing of contact lenses for long hours.
Symptoms of Dry Eye
If we suffer from any of the following symptoms, we are likely to face the problem of dry eye syndrome-
1. Foreign body sensation (feeling like sand particles)
3. Redness in eyes
4. Sticky mucus in the eye or around the eye area.
5. Discomfort when wearing contact lenses
6. Photophobia : Intolerance for light
7. Reflex watering : continuous tearing
8. Unclear / hazy vision towards the end of the day
Treatment of Dry Eye
1. Lubricating eye drops according to doctor’s prescription.
2. Medication to improve tear production
3. Unclogging the openings of meibomian glands present in the eyelids
4. Punctal Plugs to help tears remain on the surface of eyes.
5. Warm compress.
6. Lipiflow treatment.
7. Surgery of lids : if lid position is not proper or eyelashes are turned inside
Quick Home Tips for Having Well Moisturized Eyes in Summers
As summers are approaching, we need to be extra protective about our eyes. We can easily take care of them by following these home tips to keep eyes moisturized-
1. Cold compresses
2. Consuming foods/supplements rich in omega -3 fatty acids such as flax seeds.
3. 20-20-20 Rule: after every 20 minutes take break for 20 Seconds, blink 20 times , look 20 feet way this will increase the blinking rate of our eyes
4. Use of good quality sun glasses when going out.
5. Cleaning of eyelids with fresh water.
6. Avoiding smoky places and places with excessively hot climatic conditions.
Overall, it can be stated that the problem of Dry Eyes is perfectly curable. The only need is to visit the best eye doctor at your place in a specialized eye hospital. By some life style modifications and medications this problem can be timely resolved. A consistent treatment is a sure shot cure of the Dry Eye Syndrome.